The kids did a great job on Friday with their St. Nicholas Day presentation. They sang with energy and spirit and spoke well as the emcees of the event. I’m sure that they made you all proud as well. What a lovely way to celebrate the holiday spirit!
All through the month of December, our class has been thinking about the idea of gifts. Each day, the students have been writing down a gift that they have received, with one catch: they can only name gifts that are not things – no toys or game consoles allowed! As we think of new gifts, we’re adding them to the bulletin board in the classroom. Come check it out! Starting this week, we will also begin adding lights to our bulletin board tree. For each light, the students will identify ways that they can make someone’s day brighter.
In our language arts work this week, we will be finishing our third unit, investigating what makes plants special. We will be assessing at the end of this week and next. New skills introduced this week include:
- spelling plural nouns formed with -s and -es
- reviewing rules for plural nouns, including investigating nouns that don’t change their form
- incorporating visuals to elaborate on written text (such as including photos or illustrations in a report)
- determining word meanings by looking at suffixes (-less, -ness, -y, -er, -tion, -ful, and -est)
In math, we’ll begin chapter 5, Multiply with Two-Digit Numbers. Students will practice multiplying by tens, estimating products by rounding, applying the distributive property to multi-digit problems, and beginning to multiply two-digit numbers.
In social studies, we will begin learning about the history of Tucson in the 1700s. Students have started to identify information that they already know on the topic and generated some questions to explore. Our guiding questions for our study will include:
- Why did people settle in the Tucson area?
- How did different groups that lived in the area interact?
- What difficulties did people face and how did they overcome these obstacles?
This Friday, we will be going on our second field trip of the year, visiting the Tucson Museum of Art and Historical Block. We will leave school by 9:15 and will return around 12:30.
Holiday Giving Continues: Our primary grades participate in holiday giving each year. This year, we are collecting for the Humane Society of Southern Arizona. This is an optional activity from 12/3-17. We are collecting: canned wet food, towels, chew toys, hay, and small to medium sized blankets. Thanks for any way that you can help out!
Dates to keep in mind:
- Friday, December 14: Field Trip to Tucson Museum of Art
- Friday, December 21: Las Posadas & Lessons and Carols
- January 18: Field Trip to Tucson Presidio
- February 15:Field Trip to Tubac Schoolhouse (start thinking about period costumes, etc. to bring!)
- March 22:Field Trip to Sweetwater Wetlands