Here are the things we’ll be working on this week and a few schedule items to be aware of.
In Language Arts, we are reading stories about how people have made differences in their communities. We will also read the autobiography The World’s Greatest Underachiever, by Henry Winkler. In this story, Mr. Winkler tells about his experiences growing up with dyslexia and the ways he found success in spite of it. Our writing work will focus on creating a final draft piece of writing about our personal artifacts.
In math, we are continuing to explore representing multiplication as arrays. Students will look for ways to find the area of an array without counting individual squares or skip counting. Instead, they will look for known facts that can help them solve more complicated multiplication problems. Later in the week, we will work on identifying multiplication facts we already know and those we are working on.
In social studies, we are creating a video project to illustrate our class mission and vision. When that’s done, we’ll continue looking at map skills. We’ll learn about intermediate directions and symbols on a highway map.
Back to School Night is Thursday 9/19. I’m looking forward to having time to talk about our curriculum plans for the year and showcase some of the students’ work on Thursday evening. We’ll meet in my room at 6:00 for a presentation and then walk together to the student center for a social gathering and chance to meet the enrichment teachers.
Third grade is hosting a Bake Sale on October 4. Look for a sign-up genius in your email for information on how to help out.
Important Upcoming Dates:
- September 17: School Pictures (red/khaki uniforms required)
- September 18: Individual Pictures, grades K-4
- September 18: School Pictures (red/khaki uniforms required)
- September 18: Noon Dismissal (no hot lunch provided), faculty meetings
- September 19: Back to School Night grades K-4
- September 20: Welcome Back Night
- October 4: Grade 3 Bake Sale to benefit Community Food Bank
- November 22: Tucson Presidio Field Trip