As we come to the end of September (already?), here’s what to expect:
This week, we are completing unit 1: Happy to Help. Our word work will focus on spelling words with ch and tch, subject-verb agreement in sentences, and vocabulary work with understanding dictionary entries. Students will be writing a personal narrative (at least three paragraphs), paying attention to word choice, descriptive language, and sequencing. In addition to independent reading, the class will read a biography, “Making a Difference,” about the role education played in the life of explorer Joseph Lekuton.
We will begin our fourth investigation: Understanding Division. Students will examine the information included in a problem in order to determine whether multiplication or division will help them to solve it. We will work to create a class book of related multiplication and division story problems. For homework this week, students will be asked to practice their multiplication fact cards, focusing on the facts that need practice. They will be assessed for fluency with the x1, x2, x5, and x10 facts at the end of the week.
We will continue to study map skills by learning to interpret a highway map. Students will also examine how the map scale give useful information.
At Thursday’s Back to School Night, I shared a few opportunities to help volunteer with the class. Please contact me if you are interested or available for any of the following:
- Bake Sale October 4
- Field trips: planning, location coordinating, drivers. Field trips to be announced…
- Language Arts Workshop: Wednesdays 10:30-11. Read with students, help with writing, etc.
- Choice Time: Fridays 10:30 – 11. Help plan and monitor creative choice activities.
- Art Expo project in the spring
- Other ideas (class presentation, etc.), let me know!
Important Upcoming Dates:
- September 27: grades K-4 assembly Pinnochio
- October 4: Grade 3 Bake Sale to benefit Community Food Bank
- November 22: Tucson Presidio Field Trip